Long Jump Attack
Discovered by Paraxade
Gale Boomerang technique discovered by Kazooie
A Long Jump Attack (LJA) is a jump attack that gives Link greater horizontal speed than a standard jump attack. LJAs are possible when Link jump attacks while targeting an enemy, object, or the Boomerang: If the target is over a void or surface higher than Link's feet, then his normal jump attack speed (~36) will be increased (to as much as ~72), and if the target is over a surface lower than Link's feet, his normal jump attack speed will be decreased. LJAs are used for many purposes, such as to cross long gaps and to squeeze into narrow spaces. The easier and more versatile Gale Boomerang LJA is GCN only, but LJAs using enemies and objects are possible on all versions. For example, the Sword & Shield skip achieves an LJA by knocking an enemy into the air, then jumping after it.
Performing the Gale Boomerang LJA (GCN only)
- Throw the boomerang over a void/high ground, with or without locking on with R
- Press B to pull out the sword
- Wait for the Boomerang to be over a void/high ground
- Press A to jump attack
Performing an Enemy LJA (any version)
Depending on the situation, this can be done as either human or wolf.
- Lure an enemy (such as a Bokoblin) towards the spot where you wish to LJA and target it.
- Strike the enemy to send it flying in the air, then perform a jump attack while it's still in the air.
Jump Attack speeds
Explanation video by bewildebeest
The following video details jump attack speed values given by LJAs in various circumstances and explains how some common LJAs work:
- The Gale Boomerang is treated as a target, as the camera "locks" onto it. On GCN versions, once the Boomerang is thrown, moving or pressing some buttons will untarget the Boomerang. For Wii versions, however, this camera lock is broken when Link pulls out the sword, thus rendering Boomerang LJA impossible on those versions. Hacking has proven that the Boomerang LJA works on Wii if the sword is hacked out, but this is not possible without hacks.
- If the player aims the boomerang over a void that has something below it (such as some of the voids in Palace of Twilight), the void LJA method will not work.
Last updated 07/14/2022