Discovered by GlitchesAndStuff
The gainer, or forward backflip, is a backflip that moves forward. Unlike in Ocarina of Time, it can be used to grab onto ledges that would normally be too high. It can be performed as any Link.
- Z Target next to a wall
- Backflip and release Z at the same time
- One frame later, press Z again.
Link should backflip against the wall. If there is a grabbable ledge within reach, he will grab onto it. You can also pause buffer the trick as it is often hard to perform:
- Hold Z against a wall.
- Pause and let go of the Z trigger
- Hold backwards and buffer an A button press.
- Buffer a Z press (link should be in the first frame of his backflip animation)
This video demonstrates both the unbuffered and buffered version of the trick:
- This can replace a ground jump nearly everywhere it's used. Since the ground jump requires using a bomb and switching masks, it is faster to use this method in all cases.
- Though it is possible to do as a Goron, it is generally useless to do so, as Goron Link cannot grab ledges. For a similar reason, the trick cannot be used to replace the Ground Jump in Ocarina of Time.
Last updated 01/22/2014